Thursday, July 7, 2011

101 in 1001- June update

2) Sing Karaoke.
Eric finally got me to sing karaoke at Little Tokyo. I broke my karaoke cherry with 4 Non-Blondes "What's Up." I went on to sing a number of ridiculous songs, including "Circle of Life" from the Lion King and "Monkey Gone to Heaven," for which I got a standing ovation.

16) Donate $100 a year to charity.
STAIR- $20

18) Read 10 books from the Bloom Canon.
4) William James The Varieties of Religious Experience
This book is, as I keep saying, one of the most meaningful and profound books I have ever read. I think it bears mentioning that my atheist professor counts it among his favorite and most influential books. It has had a strong effect on views about religion and faith, as well as human nature. I was initially surprised to see this book in the canon because, frankly, I had never heard of it before this class. However, after reading it, I feel it definitely deserves its place there.

24) Learn 1 new word a week.
Apposite- apt in the circumstances or in relation to something
Sthenic- of or having a high or excessive level of strength and energy
Aseity- refers to the property by which a being exists of and from itself, or exists as so-and-such of and from itself
Phlogiston- fictional fire-like element which was believed to be contained within combustible bodies and released during combustion

28) See all of the Mindfuck movies.
Jacob's Ladder (1990)

41) Go fishing.
I actually forgot this one was on the list. I went fishing with my friend Eddie at the end of June and we caught exactly no fish, but we did have fun getting super drunk in a boat on the river.

83) Review 20 places on Yelp! and/or Urbanspoon.
9) Cowbell (Urbanspoon)(April '11)--I forgot to include this one in my April update
10) Maple St. Patisserie (Urbanspoon)
11) Little Tokyo Small Plates and Noodle Bar (Urbanspoon)
12) Azalea Lakes Veterinary Clinic (Yelp!)

No comments:

Post a Comment