Sunday, November 28, 2010

101 in 1001- November update

17) Get another ear piercing.
I got my tragus pierced this month, as a birthday present from my parents. Christie went with me to get it done. I considered going to a different piercing shop, but ended up going to my old standby, BR Tattoo Clinic. I'm pretty pleased with the result. As Christie and I were leaving, a lady asked me what I had gotten done. I showed her and she gasped and said, "did that HURT?"I said, "Well, not too bad. I mean, you didn't hear me scream, did you?" She scoffed and said, "Girl, don't play. You know you about to go sit out in the car and cry."





19) Read 1 unassigned book per month.
November '10- Paule Marshall- Praisesong for the Widow
This was a beautiful novel. It focuses on one woman's recovery of her heritage through a series of seemingly benign events that turn out to be life-altering. A lot of the book is told in flashback. Though the main character is African-American and much of the book is focused on a specifically African heritage, I still found myself relating to the larger message about embracing and celebrating your past.

23) See 26 movies I've never seen, starting with each letter of the alphabet.
G- The Girl on the Bridge (1999)

24) Learn 1 new word a week.
Curistic- This one is actually kind of difficult to define, as it apparently no longer shows up in dictionaries, but the best way I can think to put it is a means of communication that relies on experience and connections between people, rather than a set of rules dictated by hegemony.
Isogram- A line drawn on a map connecting two points having the same numerical value of some variable.
Disembroil- free (someone or something) from confusion
Taki-Taki- An English-based Creole language of Suriname
Ingeminate- repeat or reiterate a word, typically for emphasis

29) Go on a date.
I actually started out the month with a date with J, at Port Royale. I guess we could call it a date. He wasn't sure, so he brought a friend. Then, because I hadn't eaten, I got pretty sick (not sick vomiting but blood sugar sick) from the 2 whiskey sours I drank and J accompanied me to McDonald's, where I got some fries. I would have actually had another date this month too, but I got accidentally stood up. I really know how to get back in the dating world!

Full list here

No comments:

Post a Comment