Monday, August 23, 2010

101 in 1001- July/August update

19) Read 1 unassigned book per month.
July '10- Ann Patchett Run
August '10- Alice Munro Lives of Girls and Women
-I'm working on the Munro and I finished the Patchett in July, so I'm counting it there. I thought Bel Canto was better than Run and Run was, in some ways, predictable. That said, it was still very engaging and I didn't want to put it down, despite some predictability, so I think that says something for it.


23) See 26 movies I've never seen, starting with each letter of the alphabet.
D- Date Night (2010) (August 2010)
I- Inception (2010) (July 2010)
M- Men Who Stare At Goats (2009) (July 2010)
R- Raising Arizona (1987) (July 2010)
S- Storytelling (2001) (July 2010)

24) Learn 1 new word a week and use it.
I want to update this reflect that some of these might be words I "know" but either don't know the definition by heart or assign a different meaning to.
Words so far:
Peregrinate- travel or wander around from to place
Milquetoast- a person who is timid or submissive (I always want to use this as an adjective instead of a noun)
Lachrymose- tearful or given to weeping (I often associate this with morose, which can be confusing at times)
Vexillology- the study of flags (this doesn't strictly count under the "use it" part of this item, unless you count the conversation I had with Erin about it. But it is awesome.)
Assiduous- showing great care and perseverance (I am terrible with the definitions of "a" adjectives for some reason)
Reprobate- an unprincipled person
Stalwart- loyal, reliable, and hardworking (this is another one always think means something else--namely "boring" or "lazy")

28) See all of these Mindfuck movies.
The Game (1997) (July 2010)

49) Delete my Myspace, LinkedIn and OK Cupid profiles. (July 2010)
I did this the night I posted the list and I haven't looked back. On the other hand, I reactivated Twitter :p

52) Open a new bank account. (August 2010)
The day after I finally moved to New Orleans, I went to Capitol One and opened a new bank account. I've been very pleased so far. Customer service and communication have been fantastic, the website is easy to navigate and rewards checking is awesome.

75) Get a New Orleans library card. (August 2010)
I did this the same day I opened my bank account. I went to the Nix branch, which is within walking distance of me, but I think I'll probably use a bigger location for actual movies, as Nix seems to cater to a younger crowd. But it'd still be good for borrowing DVDs. And it's a very cozy little place.

85) Attend at least 1 music festival a year.
2010- Pitchfork

Full list here

No comments:

Post a Comment