Monday, July 12, 2010

doting

Today, Ravi and I were chatting and I made a comment about how it would be nice to "have a gas stove again--they're good in case of storms or hurricanes," and he asked me, "Would you really stay in New Orleans during a hurricane?" I replied that I'd evacuate to my parents house and he said, "No, you should go to Al's house" (mu uncle's house nearby, a far sturdier shelter than my parents' trailer that they are currently living in while the build the house-that-I-am-beginning-to-doubt-will-ever-be.)

Later, I helped him pack boxes and I made some lentil soup, for which he asked the recipe. As I typed it up to send to him, it dawned on me how glad I am that we still care about each other and are concerned about each others welfare enough to make a concerted effort to help one another. In a way, I suppose, it's sad to leave someone for whom you care so much, but it's also comforting to know that even though we can't (or won't, which we also discussed this weekend) make this work, we still have that friend in each other. It's also a nice realization during a time when I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just avoid each other as much as possible until all this is done, so we can spare ourselves the constant reminder that we are splitting up.

I don't mean for this to sound sappy, but with all the underlying depression in many of these posts, I wanted to have this to remind myself that I haven't always been muddled and sad during this breakup; I've found bright spots and good things to fall back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment