Thursday, August 22, 2013

birthday coincidences

This seems especially apropos after my drinks date last night:

I think that there is a place where she [Scarlet] realizes that people come in and out of your life. Sometimes for a day, sometimes for longer. And all of them make you what you are. You can't separate these people out of you. They form who you are. Even the ones that you kind of say well... you know, I don't know if I wanna be formed by them anymore.(laughs) But you are in some way. You are. That's why, maybe, you don't have to look at them so harshly because they have affected you. At the end, though, you know... it's us as individuals with our... mm... with our love for the land. For something intangible, that when soulmates come and go, you're never alone even when you're standing just you in your shoes, because you carry them with you.
-Tori Amos, Scarlet Stories, re: "A Sorta Fairytale"


Happy 50th, Tori Amos. Oof, I feel old.

1 comment:

  1. This made me think of that Joni Mitchell song.

    I remember that time you said
    You said 'love is touching souls'
    Surely you touched mine,
    'Cause part of you pours out of me
    In these lines from time to time.
    ...
    'Go to him, stay with him if you can,
    But be prepared to bleed.'

    ReplyDelete