Wednesday, January 30, 2013

101 in 1001- October/November/December/January update

8) Grow my hair below my shoulder blades. (December 2012)
I said from the beginning that I would be willing to fudge and count length when my hair is straight. I'm still doing that, but it's almost that long even when it's curly! I'm not sure how this happened...even friends have noted that I all of a sudden had long hair. I don't have a great photo of it, but here's te best recent photo that shows some of the length (oh yeah, I'm on Instagram now. After much persuading.):













16) Donate $100 a year to charity.
STAIR- $20 (January 2013)
Doctors Without Borders- $30 (January 2013)

19) Read 1 unassigned book per month.
October '12- Philippe Aries Western Attitudes Toward Death from the Middle Ages to the Present
November '12- TBA
December '12- TBA
January '13- TBA
(working on this!)

23) See 26 movies I've never seen, starting with each letter of the alphabet.
N- Nine to Five (1980)- (December 2012)
O- On the Waterfront (1954)- (November 2012)
T- There Will Be Blood (2007)- (October 2012)
U- The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)- (October 2012)
X- X: Night of Vengeance (2011)- (December 2012)

X: Night of Vengeance sounds like it would be AWFUL, right? Richie and I basically only watched it so I could cross it off this list. But it ended up being not bad! No tour de force, but definitely watchable-without-cringing. It was actually a pretty decent movie...reminded me of a French thriller.

24) Learn 1 new word a week.
Okay, this list is going to be SUPER LONG, because it goes back to July. So, bear with me. Apologies!
Orison- A prayer
Bloviated- To discourse at length in a pompous or boastful manner
Charnier- A mass grave
Ossuaries- a chest, building, well, or site made to serve as the final resting place of human skeletal remains
Mephitic- (esp. of a gas or vapor) Foul-smelling; noxious
Mendicant- a member of a religious order (as the Franciscans) combining monastic life and outside religious activity and originally owning neither personal nor community property
Sinsemilla- highly potent marijuana from female plants that are specially tended and kept seedless by preventing pollination in order to induce a high resin content
Badinage- Humorous conversation
Demimonde- a class of women on the fringes of respectable society supported by wealthy lovers
Descry- Catch sight of
Deliquesce- Become liquid, typically during decomposition
Reconnoitering- Make a military observation of (a region)
Debility- being weak or feeble
Patera- a shallow ceramic or metal libation bowl
Paresthesia- a sensation of tickling, tingling, burning, pricking, or numbness of a person's skin with no apparent long-term physical effect
Sansculotte- an extreme radical republican in France at the time of the French Revolution
Jocunditie- the quality or condition of being merry or cheerful
Vicregal- Of or relating to a viceroy
Purlieus- A person's usual haunts
Fulness- In Christianity, the dispensation (or administration) of the fulness of times is thought to be a world order or administration in which the heavens and the earth are under the political and/or spiritual government of Jesus. The phrase is derived from a passage in Ephesians 1:10 (KJV), which reads: "That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him."
Irreticence- Not reticent, wanting in reticence. (Coined by V. Woolf)
Equerry- A personal attendant to the British royal household
Pother- A state of nervous activity; a fuss
Shallop- A large heavy boat, usually having two masts and carrying fore-and-aft or lugsails
Accouchement- A confinement during childbirth; a lying-in
Vagulous- Wayward, vague, wavering (also coined by V. Woolf)
Zenick- A South African burrowing mammal (Suricata tetradactyla), allied to the civets. It is grayish brown, with yellowish transverse stripes on the back. Called also suricat
Aliquot- a method of measuring ingredients below the sensitivity of a scale by proportional dilution with inactive ingredients

27) Regularly volunteer somewhere.  (October 2012)
I started volunteering as a tutor with STAIR in September 2012. Almost every Saturday, I tutor a seven-year old girl in reading. It is exhilarating, trying, frustrating, and wonderful. Once a week, I get a rambunctious little girl screaming, "Miss MANDI!!! I'm so GLAD YOU'RE HERE!" Then she shows me her newest purse and all the contents therein. Then she tells me about her week. THEN, we read. :)

42) Take some photos of my brother and me for our parents. (December 2012)
When I first made this list, I envisioned Alex and I having a photographer take some photos of us for our parents. What happened instead is that I took a photo from each of our graduations (his high school one and my grad school one), blew them up and had them framed for our parents as a Christmas present. I think it still fits the spirit of the original idea, which was to give my parents updated pictures of us.

48) Host a dinner for my parents. (December 2012)
On Christmas Eve eve (that is to say, December 23), Richie and I had my parents and his mom over for a pre-Christmas dinner of chicken and sausage gumbo, potato salad, and a cranberry coffee cake. And a bunch of alcohol. Success!

55) Cook 10 challenging dishes from celebrated chefs. (January 2013)
3) Susan Spicer's Savory Vegetable Polenta Gratin with Garlic Confit

62) Visit 10 historical sites in New Orleans.
3) Antoine's Restaurant (December 2011)
I went back to Antoine's over the Christmas holiday (because they had a $20 lunch special and I'm cheap) and decided that New Orleans' oldest restaurant warranted the designation of a historical site. I'm marking this December 2011 though, because that was the first time I went there.


85) Attend at least 1 music festival a year. - updated!
I originally said I didn't attend any music festivals in 2012, but I did! I went to French Quarter Fest in April on two separate days and totally forgot about it! So, this one continues!

96) Attend 10 cultural events. (December 2012)
10) The Nutcracker

98) Pay off my 1st student loan and 1/4 of the 2nd one.
Halfway there! I paid off Sallie Mae. I'm not sure I'll be able to pay off 1/4 of the second one, but at least I half completed this!

Full list here.

No comments:

Post a Comment