Monday, January 2, 2012

101 in 1001- December update

11) Apply to 5 MA/Ph.D programs that I really want to attend.
1) The Ohio State University's Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies Ph.D
2) Louisiana State University's English Ph.D

19) Read 1 unassigned book per month.
T.C. Boyle The Women
This book is historical fiction about the various wives and lovers of Frank Lloyd Wright. It took me forever to get through because various life things kept occurring but I was finally able to finish it right at the end of the month. The book is incredibly well-written and I've always thought T.C. Boyle is an excellent writer, but toward the middle, I began to feel like it was a wee bit misogynistic. It took me out of the reading experience a bit and reminded me that I had similar thoughts about Boyle's The Road to Wellville. There always seems to be this kind of faint disdain toward female characters that is used to dismiss faults of the male protagonist. At the end of this, Wright was lauded as a great man and friend, but also a "poor, poor man." I was left feeling pretty disgusted with him. That said, I recommend the book.

24) Learn 1 new word a week.
Ausculation- the action of listening to sounds from the heart, lungs, or other organs, typically with a stethoscope, as a part of medical diagnosis
Tocsin- an alarm bell or signal
Abstersion- the act of wiping clean; a cleansing; a purging
Voltaic- of or relating to electricity produced by chemical action in a primary battery; galvanic

28) See all of these Mindfuck movies.
La Jetee (1962)
This was a really great movie and was, unbeknownst to me, the influence behind Terry Gilliam's 12 Monkeys. It's a short film and you can find it on YouTube, with English subtitles. Part 1 is here and Part 2 is here. It'll take about half an hour and it's a fairly iconic film. Check it out.

71) Get rid of all my non-stick cookware (except one pan).
My parents got me this 11 piece stainless steel cookware set for Christmas. I ended up keeping one very small non-stick pot and a pan, but the rest is in a box to go to Goodwill. I've also been cooking like crazy in the new stuff, including a giant gumbo on New Year's Day.

83) Review 20 places on Yelp! and/or Urbanspoon.
18) Hey! Cafe
19) Katie's Restaurant
20) Verti Marte

Full list here

No comments:

Post a Comment