Sunday, October 31, 2010

101 in 1001- October update

18) Read 10 books from the Bloom Canon.
1) Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice
Yes, I'd never read Pride and Prejudice. Yes, this might make me a bad English major. What might make me a worse one is that, while I thought it was a good page turner, I didn't think it was an amazing book. I get the importance of it, but I'm going to stick with E. Bronte.

19) Read 1 unassigned book per month.
October '10- Stuart Berman- This Book is Broken: A Broken Social Scene Story
This was a pretty decent book. It does a great job of discussing the formation of the band, but I thought it kind of avoided discussing the conflict that is mentioned later in the book. Considering half the book is devoted to pre-band talk, it was sort of odd to gloss over things like relationships, divorces and, more pertinently, the almost-break up of the group. This could be due to the fact that the book was written by a friend of the band. Nevertheless, it was an informative read and there are some great pictures.

23) See 26 movies I've never seen, starting with each letter of the alphabet.
A- Ajami (2009)
E- Effi Briest (1974)
V- Volcano (1997)

24) Learn one new word a week.
Irruption- enter forcibly or suddenly
Epiphenomenon- a secondary effect or byproduct that arises from but does not causally influence a process
Vadose- relating to or denoting underground water above the water table
Prelapsarian- characteristic of the time before the Fall of Man; innocent and unspoiled

67) Learn to make 6 different cocktails from memory
1) Pimm's Cup (from the Napoleon House)
1 1/4 oz. Pimms #1
3 oz. lemonade
7-Up
Cucumber slices

Pour Pimms and lemonade over ice. Top off with 7-Up. Garnish with cucumber (I like to muddle the cucumber into the drink before putting it over ice)

73) Create an organized filing system for important documents.
Now my tax forms, passport, birth certificate, lease, and financial aid documents each have a place to live that isn't "giant stack shoved in a desk drawer!"

Full list here

No comments:

Post a Comment